I have ten life goals that I constantly work towards. When I achieve one (like going to Paris or getting a tattoo) I create new goals. I found myself making general goals for Iowa City so I decided to create ten goals to work on while we live here.
Here are the ten goals I came up with. While these are not written out as SMART goals, I like having them in this format because it is easy to pull up and remind myself of what I am working on. For some of the goals I have further developed timelines, measures, specifics, etc. Others, I do not feel need such structure. When thinking about my goals for Iowa City, most of the goals were things that I always say I wish I would do -so I decided to stop wishing and start doing.
1. Earn my doctorate - I am hoping this will happen by May 2014 but there are a lot of variables that could influence this completion date. Send good vibes my way while I finish up my dissertation, it is the last step towards achieving this goal!
2. Be a yogi - I have always done yoga on and off but always wished I was someone who did it constantly. I decided this was easy to achieve, I just needed to go to yoga and stop wishing I would. So I signed up for classes and started going. I found a hot yogi studio that I really like in Iowa City and already have a yoga buddy that goes with me so this goal is already going well.
3. Learn to sew- I got a sewing machine last year as a gift from my parents. I have always wanted to learn how to sew and made a few items right away. Then I broke my machine while sewing capes for some kids at school. I got the machine fixed but then was worried that I would break it again so have stayed away from it in fear. I want to know how to use my machine and be able to sew simple projects so the kids at school can get the super hero capes they deserve!
4. Write a book - This is going to be an eBook with drawings, interactive exercises, and videos on the topic of my dissertation - in collaboration with my father. This goal refers to getting a draft of the book completed.
5. Play guitar/ukulele - This is something that I used to do but had not had time over the past few years to keep up with. My goal is to be able to play the piece that I played for my classical guitar final in college and to be able to play "Beat It" on the ukulele.
6. Be a professor - I was an adjunct professor for a few years and loved it. I want to find work as a professor in Iowa City or online so I can keep building my teaching skills.
7. Keep up my blog - I love doing it and want to keep it going.
8. Volunteer - Volunteerism is an important part of my life. I want to get involved with some local organizations here to meet people and give back to this community while I am here.
9. Keep in touch with friends - I am awful at returning emails and phone calls to friends. I want to make a more concentrated effort to stay in touch with everyone now that we have moved away.
10. Get ProjectThink off the ground - ProjectThink is a business I want to start with my father where we serve as a creativity consultants.